Monday 24 January 2011

Doubts and dark clouds

Editing. It ain't easy. You finish the first draft and are filled with such elation - you've done it! Written a whole book! And sure, it's flawed, but nothing a little judicial editing won't fix, right? Right? Erm, wrong.
I am very lucky, I have had some great feedback, thoughtful, measured, intelligent feedback. That's positive. The amount of work required? Not so positive! These chapters don't work, this plot line seems superfluous. Worst of all my hero needs to man up, he is actually annoying readers. So what to do? Rewrite this little book of mine which was only an experiment anyway, grit my teeth and carry on? Or return to the historicals where a man's breeches gives him immediate Alpha points...
I hate to give up, but nor do I want to waste valuable writing time on a book that just might not be worth it.
On the bright side I start the Jessica Hart course on Weds where I hope to find answers to all these doubts and find some light in the dark clouds that have dimmed my confidence.
I just want to say thanks to my lovely readers - you know who you are. Your comments, thoughts and suggestions might be causing me some sleepless nights right now but my writing, plotting and characters will all be stronger for it one day. Honest feedback, the most important tool an aspiring writer can have.

7 comments:

Julia Broadbooks said...

I right there with you losing sleep!!!

Alexandra said...

Don't you dare give up! Editing is when the real writing starts and yes, it is hard, but you've got the working draft. Take account of what your readers are suggesting, decide whether you agree with them or not and take it a step at a time. If more than one reader remarks on the same point, it's worth taking notice of, the rest you can disregard if you see fit. A piece of advice that I've heard over and over again is once you've written your novel/short story/article is to let it rest and go back to it with fresh eyes. However, the danger with that is you might not get back to it at all! My opinion is that what you have is worth working on. It's a good story with strong writing.

Morton S Gray said...

Hi,
I have the doubts too, big time, but I found this blog post and I think it can make a manuscript stronger. http://thedarksalon.blogspot.com/2009/06/top-ten-things-i-know-about-editing.html Please have a go. Mx

Jessica Gilmore said...

Thanks everyone. I am way to cussed to give up - but feeling just a bit of overwhelmed today, and thought if this blog is to be an accurate record of my writing experiences it needed to be shared!

Alexandra said...

Glad you shared it. :o) I'm constantly doubting my own ability, and there is something reassuring to note that you're not alone in how you feel.

Julia Broadbooks said...

I'm with Alexandra. It's comforting to know that you're not alone as you struggle to find your way. But you're not the only one struggling with doubts.

Anonymous said...

Def, don't give up. I really, really like your story. It will be so much better for all the effort, hard work, tears and frustrations you pour into it now. :-D